Social media is powerful, but what if you can’t use big platforms to advertise your business and initiate products, such as sex toys? Plus, hiring the right people, having hustle, how health challenges can inspire an entrepreneurial mission, the challenge of raising money in a boys’ club, and never giving up.
Polly Rodriguez, CEO and Co-Founder of Unbound (a leader in changing how feminists explore and enjoy their sex lives., through a quarterly box, online shop and Unbound Magazine), joins Socialfly founders Stephanie Cartin and Courtney Spritzer in the MouthMedia Network studios for a conversation about building her company and her journey to success, along with a surprise and a brainstorm.
In this episode:
- How Polly went from working as a consultant to finding a business parter and starting Unbound
- The difficulties in finding steady income while trying to commit to growing your business, and why it’s better not to feel embarrassed by doing whatever it takes to set off down your own career path
- The growing pains unique to Unbound as a sexual wellness brand
- How through self motivated research and practice Polly helped Unbound tackle advertising hurdles by utilizing SEO and content marketing
- How Unbound grew from a subscription box only to a broader wellness product company that produces its own goods
- The process of finding investors, and why timing is crucial
- How Polly and her co-founder Sarah split their workloads
- The importance of finding motivated employees and structured hiring processes
- Polly’s experiences with cancer and how that led to her career change
- The importance of support systems outside of the company you work at
- A one minute brainstorm about white-listing ads and the future of social media